SMi from 1972 to today: a dynamic company that know how to grow
Founded in 1972 under the name Labo S.M. Inc., The S.M. Group International (SMi) has specialized since its early years of operations in the disciplines of earth sciences and quality control.
In the 80s, SMi opened numerous offices and hired new specialists in order to expand the range of services offered notably in the engineering, environment and project management fields.
Large-scale projects allow SMi to establish itself for its expertise and its employee’s high level of professionalism:
- More than 35 years of major work on behalf of SEBJ (Société de l’Énergie de la Baie James, subsidiary of Hydro-Québec), including:
- The participation in the project management for the 2000 megawatt expansion project to the LG2 Central in James Bay, valued at more than $ 1.5 billion.
- In a consortium, the management of the hydroelectric projects LG2A, LG1 and LA1 in James Bay, valued at more than $ 10 billion.
- The project management of the development of the hydroelectric complex Eastmain-1 and 1A – La Sarcelle – Rupert, in James Bay, valued at more than $ 6 billion.
Since the 80s-90s, SMi internationally distinguishes itself for large-scale projects:
- Studies, engineering and construction management of the Maduru-Oya reservoir dam in Sri Lanka, valued at 185 M$. (SMi received the IACC’s award of excellent in 1985)
- The environmental analysis and modeling of the pollution of the Rio Bay in Brazil
- Several contracts in China, which includes the infrastructure environmental development plan of the cities of Guilin and Nanning and the safety and management program of China’s dams.
In the 2000 years, SMi consolidates its presence in Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. Not limiting itself to Canada, SMi also opened offices in the United States, Algeria, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Switzerland. This geographical expansion allowed SMi targeted growth in sales and profitability
In 2009, SMi acquires Énerpro Inc., an engineering firm specializing in the energy efficiency of data centers and commercial, institutional and residential buildings. SMi also acquired CSP Security Consulting Inc., a firm in security consulting, risk and threat analysis and the design and implementation of security systems.
In 2010, SMi acquires Concrete Technical Services Ltd. Scaram is a specialized construction company that developed an advanced technical expertise for the repair of underground parking and overhead and underground concrete structures.
In 2011, SMi acquired Claulac Inc., an engineering firm specializing primarily in construction surveying with state of the art technologies. These new skills allow SMi to turn to new markets for the realization of large scale projects in Canada and abroad.
In 2012, SMI acquired and integrated Les laboratoires d’analyses Agridirect of the COOP Fédérée, which complemented the already existing services, supplied to the agri-food sector by offering the full range of analytical services, advice and quality management from the farm to the table.
In 2013, SMi founded, SMi-Faciliop, a new division that would help SMi enter the oil and gas market in Western Canada and around the world. SMi-Faciliop offers a comprehensive range of services from operations engineering, maintenance and project planning to the complete range of engineering services, procurement and construction management.
In 2014, SMi received its certification from the Autorité des Marchés Financiers du Québec (AMF), (according to the law regarding public contracts) which authorizes SMi to obtain contracts or sub contracts from any provincial public organization. Mandated by the Quebec government, the AMF is an organization that aims to regulate Quebec’s financial markets and provides assistance to consumers of products and financial services. SMi is proud to have received this certification as it reflects the high level of integrity in the conduct of its overall business activities.
2016 will be a year of consolidation and realization of major projects. Our professionals are loyal and dedicated to our clients; they represent a solid value and a feeling of collective pride.
Now active in over thirty countries, SMi numbers more than 1000 professionals and is recognized for its innovative integration applications and for the deployment of global solutions that are at the cutting edge of new technologies.